Are You Curious About LIFE?

Do We Really Use Only 10 Percent Of Our Brain

Do We Really Use Only 10 Percent Of Our Brain

For over 100 years, it has been thought that humans use only 10 percent of their brains. Interestingly, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. Nevertheless, two thirds of all people and just over half of all teachers in the world believe in this myth. You heard right, it’s a myth. Let's figure out where it came from.

William James, the famous psychologist who said: "We are only half awake compared to what we should be. We use only a small part of our physical and mental resources.” However, he did not make any numerical estimates.

Upon hearing about such scientific discoveries, journalists immediately twisted everything in their own way, so that it looked like a sensation. However, until now, there has not been a single actual scientific study that claims that the brain works on a certain small percentage of its capabilities.

Few things were known that the brain is made up of neurons and that neurons can produce electrical signals. Due to which some scientists believed that if a neuron produces an impulse, it acts as “active”, and if it doesn’t, it means "lazy". And then someone got the idea to test: how many neurons "active" in the whole brain?

There are many billion neurons in our brain, and it would be insane to measure the activity of each of them as it would take many years. Therefore, scientists, instead of studying all neurons, examined only a small part and determined the percentage of active and assumed that this percentage is the same throughout the brain.

And it turns out, there is only a small percentage of neurons that are “active”, and the rest are "silent".

Of course, the conclusion was absolutely wrong, “we only use 10% of our brain - the other 90% of the capacity is idle”. But the truth is that we use our whole mind all the time. If a person is sitting idle, then, obviously, the brain does not work at full capacity.

NEXT UP IN CURIOSITY